So far, so good. I think I'm going to keep bus-commuting for now.
Things I Would've Missed This Week Had I Been Driving Instead of Riding the Bus.
- Discovering that Alan's old florist is now a deli = new downtown lunch spot.
- An fascinating, fragant, residential xeriscape on the way to the bus stop.
- Spending less on gas; helping my carbon footprint.
- Tons of new things noticed along the route that I can't when driving.
- A shaved ice vendor, perfect for a 95-degree, 3/4-mile walk home.
- Some fascinating people-watching and people-listening.
- Two miles' worth of neighborhood and downtown walking every day that I wasn't previously doing.
- A glimpse into San Antonio bus-riding subculture, replete with folkways and taboos.
- Putting less wear and tear on my car.
- Putting my commute time back to work (laptop, iPhone apps).
- A diverse population that most middle- and upper-middle class whites daily miss
- Time to strike up conversations with strangers. Captive audience if you will.
- Discovering that Broadway alone has at least three downtown bus lines: 9, 10, 14.